Are you looking for your next job promotion? Let’s give you some push by suggesting some top techniques that can help you get promoted quickly at work.
To get promoted quickly at work you need to be good at work for sure. There is certainly no shortcut to success.
But, in order to get promoted quickly and regularly, you need to be a smart worker and a people pleaser. This is true, especially in customer-facing roles across industries.
You may at times need to own up to a few things in a way that might not always be as per your plan. In this post, we discuss 8 tips that can help you get that coveted promotion at your job quickly.
To start with asking for a job promotion might not be a bad idea, but then you need to paraphrase and look out for alternative ways to convey the message.
Your actions should demand and command promotion.
To put it simply, you need to please your boss for the promotion. The best strategy for getting a promotion is to mix it all up.
Let’s get started with our points now, shall we?
1. Follow these Basic rules at work to get promoted quickly
Before even thinking of promotion, it is crucial to know that there is no short solution to incompetence and ignorance.
You need to be at the top of your game at your organisation to be able to pitch yourself for a promotion.
In order to climb the career ladder quickly, there are a few success mantras that you must follow.
These are quickly summed up in the bullet points below.
- Punctuality– Always arrive on time
- Work Etiquette– This is related to dressing properly and behaving professionally
- Work ethics– Be committed, proactive and honest in your job.
- Positive Attitude– Be positive and confident. Increase productivity through attitude. Who doesn’t love good personalities?
- Stay organised– Keep a track of all your work in progress and keep your work area clean
- Goal-orientedness– It is important to stay ahead of schedule. Always strive to beat targets and deadlines
- Be a Team player– Love everyone and be loved by all. This should be the aim to get promoted quickly.
- Leave home at home– Don’t discuss private affairs and leave your personal baggage of responsibilities at home
- Work hard– Nothings succeeds like success. Work hard to become successful and further success will follow
So, if you want to know how to get promoted quickly at your organisation, you need to first get your act cleaned up.
Crucial points from the above are regarding teamwork and goal orientedness.
One of our other articles has discussed in details a few tips on teamwork that you can refer to for details.
And, you need to be earning money and meeting targets for your company. That’s the most basic requirement to get promoted.
If you are from the hospitality or travel industry, a few of these tips would also be useful to build an excellent career in the hospitality industry.
Before we move ahead with other great strategies for a quick job promotion, it is equally important to know what not to do at the workplace that might get your boss pissed. Like.
- Don’t be late to meetings or to work.
- Don’t be a chatter box.
- Not working according to guidelines, plan, timelines.
- Bullying other team members
- Spreading negativity about office culture or other colleagues
- Not being a team player
- Having a casual and irresponsible approach towards team targets.
And the list is endless for the things that one must not be doing.
Hope you already know quite a lot of the above-mentioned points on what not to do. So, moving on to the things that you must do to get promoted quickly.
2. Put the interest of your Organisation before your own interest
Yes, this is extremely important and one of the key techniques to get promoted quickly.
When you put someone else’s interest before your interest, even for a little time, they will certainly take care of you.
It doesn’t matter what position you are working on.
There can be multiple ways to put them before yourself, a few of which are mentioned below.
- Listen carefully to your boss to understand the priorities.
- Do what they want you to do not what you can do or love to do.
- Be a team player and volunteer to do the work your department head finds urgent.
- Be proactive to suggest a solution to a problem your manager might be staring at.
- Be willing to learn from the situation and be empathetic towards other members. This is what your manager wants to do.
So the best technique to get promoted is to always do what your department head and top bosses like the most.
If your manager gets promoted, you follow your manager up the ladder without asking for a promotion.
Try to help your manager in reaching targets and your manager is sure to help you with climbing up the career ladder.
3. Pretend to Like your boss Even If You Don’t
Make yourself indispensable at work and incorporate genuine work habits so that the boss loves you as suggested by Lifehacker.
Start with this video to learn how you and your manager can be on the same boat.
People can help you reach the top and you need to like them even if you don’t because these people can do things for you others cannot. This is the truth.
If you want to be promoted fast in your job, take the ‘liking people’ aspect to level next.
If you are unsure of what would be the passion of your boss then take your chances. Health and fitness-related discussion is your safest bet then.
Bosses love the athleticism, Yoga and extreme Sports (Even the paunchiest of them love these too). Stay updated on these to be in the good books of your bosses.
You should always treat your Boss like your first date. Give them compliments and then let them know what you want.
So be good to your manager when he says that he met with a minor accident or your boss might say she lost the keys to her house.
Don’t reveal your happiness :). Stay calm and offer help.
4. Deal positively with the politics in your organisation
Life at the office seems unfair at times when you see many people around you do nothing apart from politics and still manage to get promotions regularly.
You can’t even raise voice against such promotions because you fear to lose your job or of falling out of favour.
Follow the points below to ensure that you don’t share your brownie points with those lazy ones busy in office politics to pip you in the race of promotion.
You need to stay ahead in the race.
In order to get promoted quickly, you need to be hardworking, smart as well as innovative in your approach in dealing with office politics.
You would need to be dealing with Sheep, Monkeys, Owls and Foxes of your office as is used by the model of politics. Simon Badderly et al published political behaviour at workplace. Those politically aware and who took action with integrity were classified as wise owl while the clever ones were termed a fox.
So, try to be a wise owl and act with integrity while being aware of the office politics. Beware of the foxes and monkeys of the office political group.
To ensure that you stay ahead in the race of promotion, try following the points below.
- Stop doing all the work of others at the cost of your project.
- Learn the art of selling yourself to get rewarded for your work.
- Single out the lazy ones in social gatherings.
- Learn the act of communicating and connecting. Maybe the ones doing politics are good to communicate and your boss might not find you willing to take new responsibility.
- Be ready to take up opportunities.
- The company can’t read your mind- Please don’t wait for the boss to come to you. Approach your management and be willing to deal with new challenges.
- Stop caring about the politics- Don’t try to beat the lazy one in politics; maybe he/she know more of it than you do. Stick to your competencies and stay positive in your approach.
5. Be compassionate to your co-workers
Here’s a secret for getting in someone’s good books: always inquire about their family and about their likings.
Now that’s not a big deal at all.
You have social media. Stalk (politely) the people from your team on Facebook or LinkedIn if you can and then ask away. Seem genuinely interested in whatever you talk about.
Being compassionate and genuinely helpful makes you the apple of all the eyes at your organisation.
You become more bankable and in the context of a quick job promotion, more visible.
Believe it or not, everyone wants themselves to be treated as special either voluntarily or involuntarily.
Being compassionate helps you in doing the same effortlessly.
6. Stay Updated about your Macro environment to get promoted quickly
If your company comes under Micro, understanding your macro surrounding would help you immensely in getting that promotion quickly.
In order to do the same, you need to be updated about the big picture, about the alignment of the goals of your company with the external environment.
Yes, you need to be updated about the company, your manager, your team and your competitors.
You need to be visible and your deeds should ask for that rare promotion opportunity.
Be updated about what’s happening in your industry.
Knowledge about your team and the manager is also a good thing to edge out competitors for promotion.
Knowledge about your own industry is also crucial for healthy discussions at work.
It all helps cause that we are discussing in this article. Job promotions.
Becoming more knowledgeable about your macro environment is one of the surefire ways to get promoted at work quickly.
7. Always Keep Your Game Face On- Be trustworthy
You need that promotion, don’t you?
So, please don’t pretend as if you don’t care about pay hikes and quick career progression.
Be open about it and show your willingness. Ask for help where it’s needed.
There will be people who are above you within your organization’s hierarchy.
Whether it’s someone you like or someone you hate, you need to build up your network like never before and get them to care for you.
Build your networking skills with people you don’t like and for this, you will need to always keep your game face on like you have never done it before.
Don’t try to pretend of not caring about the upcoming review and ensuing job promotion.
Being trustworthy, transparent are all virtues that are appreciated even by your worst enemies at work.
8. Be your Boss’s Bitch (If none of the above work :))
Follow this step if you are desperate to get that promotion even if that requires you to be your boss’s bitch (not literally).
Let’s be honest here. You really cannot think about moving to the top of the ladder in the company if you don’t know how to please the top position.
Ideally, you would like to climb up the ladder without asking for promotion but that is not always how it works.
At times some buttering in a positive way at work can help you phenomenally.
Yes, some of you might not be interested in doing so, but it can help you climb the stairs to success.
If that helps and that’s what your boss likes, why not give this a try?
Again, only if your own psyche allows this only then use it as one of the techniques to get promoted quickly.
Go out of your way to show them you’re making an effort.
Perhaps you can get their favourite pastry from the bakery. It helps to earn those brownie points.
Go as far as you can to help yourself gain attention. Get them gifts, walk their dogs or take the kids to the park.
Be good to your boss and go out of the way to help them with errands. While doing all this, try to highlight your contributions in subtle manners. That’s it.
You just want to be your Boss’s baby before requesting for promotion. Especially if none of the other 7 techniques seems to work for you.
Finally, keep selling yourself. Please make sure you make your presence feel to your manager and everyone else in your team.
While all of the above works like heaven when pleasing your boss and looking for techniques to get promoted quickly, it is advisable to begin the quest with honest hard work and efficient teamwork.
You should only be asking for promotion after you have proved your mettle at work.