Information systems in the Hotel industry refer to computer systems in a hotel that supply information about that hotel’s business operations.
In the current technology era, this is as crucial as it can get. This post also covers a lot of Hotel Management Software in detail.
Information systems play a crucial role in the hotel industry as they facilitate planning, management, overall operations of the hotels as well as policymaking.
The information systems used in hotels are much more advanced owing to the latest technological innovations.
So, what exactly is the meaning of Information systems and why is it crucial for sustained competitive advantage in the hotel industry?
Information systems typically include all computerised systems which are used to gather data continuously both for use internally and externally.
Information technology has influenced every sphere of human life in the last few decades in a tremendous way.
The tourism and hospitality sector has been a key beneficiary as it has allowed contemporary travellers to enjoy a plethora of options.
Some of the information systems that are commonly used in the hospitality industry include below.
Information Systems in the Hotel Industry
Information systems are an integral part of the complete IT infrastructure used in the hotel industry.
Information Technology in the hotel industry is now probably the most important tool for sustained competitive advantages. Information systems play a crucial role in the same. Listed below are few of the same. Have a look, please.
We also have a compilation of 8 best hotel management software. So, please also look to that post to get an idea of best available hospitality software out there.
1. Transaction Processing System
The World is going gaga over The Cloud and Data analytics. Processing data effectively helps the hotel to be more flexible to demand, in understanding customer and keeping costs down.
Transaction Processing System allows business transactions involving the collection, retrieval, and modification of transactional data.
This system processes data generated about and by transactions in the hotel. These systems are vital as they ensure that the data collected is accurate and timely, which increases labour efficiency.
It is mostly used by managers in the hotel industry at operational capacity.
Read more about Transaction Process System at Techopedia.
2. The Point of Sale (PoS) System used in the Hotel Industry
PoS is the most common form of information systems used in the Hotel industry. This computerised system keeps track of merchandise sales such as those that would occur in a hotel restaurant, bar, coffee or gift shop.
There are various versions that are also used by the Front office of the Hotel and the Housekeeping department.
These systems incorporate registers, computers and any peripheral equipment that make be established on a computer network.
This system is important because it keeps track of payroll, labour, and sales, as well as generates records which may be useful for accounting purposes.
Micros and version of Micros are commonly used by the Hotel restaurants, Fast food restaurants and stand-alone restaurants.
Even security departments of the hotel industry have their own PoS system.
3. Management Information Systems
These systems provide the information required by the hotel for proper management of staff and the facilities.
This system can be used to analyse and facilitate operational and strategic activities and is used functionally in areas such as security, housekeeping, maintenance, and financial controls and accounting.
With all the innovation in hospitality for better hospitality experience to the customer, these sophisticated hotel information systems help in improving the overall experience of customers and staff alike.
4. Property Management Systems (PMS)
This is a comprehensive software application which is used to cover basic goals such as coordination of the operational duties of the staff at the front office, sales, and planning.
Property management systems facilitate the automation of important functions such as guest booking, guest information, online reservations, as well as sales and marketing.
The whole purpose of PMS is to manage various operations of the Hotel and to streamline data.
There are a lot of customised PMS providers across the globe as covered in our post on Hotel Management software.
5. Decisions Support Systems
Decision support systems aid the decision-making process. Each hotel creates a decisions support system based on the operational model of the hotel establishment.
This system is particularly important in ensuring that the hotel operations are functional and that decisions are made in a timely manner.
There is a clear overlap in these information systems used in the hotel industry. A lot of Hotel software providers have bundled packages for using multiple products under one administrative panel.
We have also listed below some of the facets which help a hotel management software compete with others in the business, in the race to be the best;
This quick list mentions where and how you can use these hotel property management software and why are these useful.
- Financial Reports: competitive hotel property management software provides you with financial and business reports regarding your hotel business. You can learn about room occupancy ratios, the duration of the stay of your guests, payment collection methods, and similar statistical forecasts for your hotel.
- Hotel Administration: Hotel property management software helps you learn and execute marketing drills, send promotional emails, organise staff training, and develop in-house communication systems to bring ease in the processes.
- Food-service management: Hospitality management Software can not only help send real-time information to kitchen units but can also track inventory, order goods automatically and assess profitability and improvement areas.
- Accounting: With the options to carry out accounting, you can assess profits to cost ratios, prepare bills, and also make payments to vendors and travel agents.
- Online Bookings and Reservations: With online booking and reservation options, you can manage your hotel website, offer room rates to customers, put new offers and deals over the internet, and book rooms for your customers based on pre-deposit policies.
- Check-Ins and Check-Outs: Hotel management systems or software allows you to manage check-ins and check-outs of your customers. You can allot rooms, print check-in cards, receive online payments, and extend stays of your customers through a single software.
- Rate Management: It is very important to manage your rates for the successful running of your business. You can devise plans and provide your customers with variable room rates and offer discount deals.
- Housekeeping: You can develop lists of check-ins and check-outs and manage their housekeeping. The software allows you to maintain communication with your housekeeping staff. You can assign rooms to maids, develop their task lists, and review room status before and after the housekeeping service.
Apart from these, there are many other services which a hotel property management software should offer.
Technology is getting the best out of each industry. Why should the hotel industry fall behind in the race?
We have also compiled top trends of the hospitality industry and the future of the Hospitality industry in our earlier posts.
These types of software for Hotel management help you in adapting to the changing trends of the hospitality marketplace. As a result, you have better control over everything going on in your enterprise.
Apart from the property management, food and catering services, and administration and financial report makings, there is hotel Wi-Fi management software as well, which control the internet access throughout your building.
Anta-media, My Wi-Fi Service, and Active Prism are a few top-quality system control software which helps you with the purpose.
Here on this hospitality portal, we have also covered some of the best software for hotel management available out there in the market.
Using these information systems in the Hotel is good for the implementation of Hotel Marketing strategies for gaining a competitive advantage.
While a lot of hotels already use these systems, there is no harm in others to test out these information systems. Moreover, most of the software providers provide a free trial.
Go for it if you still don’t have these systems installed at your Hotel.