Are you looking for Cruise line jobs? Here we provide some actionable tips. A lot of hospitality professionals are not aware of how to apply for cruise line jobs. In this post, we have outlined methods that would help you apply for cruise ship jobs.
Lots of people look upon Cruise Line jobs as adventurous and exotic. COVID 19 pandemic has led to a dramatic fall of the Cruise line industry but the post Covid world would see a quick rise as well. If you are looking for a job on cruise ships, then you are not alone. Even those people who are too young to remember “The Love Boat”, it looks like great as well as an interesting job.
Moreover, it is also extremely well paid.
In this post, we will cover the basics of cruise line jobs and provide you with ample resource and links to explore Cruise ship jobs further.
This post would discuss the following (please keep reading for details):
- What are Cruise Lines and what are the types of jobs available?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of working on Cruise Ships
- Which are top Best Cruise Line companies?
- How cruise lines hire team members?
- How can you get selected for a Cruise line?
- Estimated salaries for Cruise ship jobs
- Basic requirements for cruise ship jobs
While we have outlined a lot of cool tips here, there are professionals who help in order to make the task easy.
But, we have made efforts to ensure you have the right guidance and information to land your dream cruise jobs.
Read on for more information.
1. What types of jobs are available on cruises?
Cruise line jobs constitute a key segment whenever we discuss the career paths in the hospitality industry.
Whether you have just seen Love Boat, Titanic or you just returned from a cruise trip, you know very well what the cruise vacation is all about.
With increasing developments in this sector of the hospitality industry, more and more companies are launching cruises. You must be aware of the details of Cruise ship jobs to know how to apply for Cruise ship jobs.
Each ship hosts thousands of employees which serve in multiple sectors. The two major division of service on a cruise are:
- Marine Operations Division: In this division, people are required to manage the operations of the cruise. It mainly includes sailing operations and engineering tasks which help the cruise float smoothly. Know more about it at the Royal Caribbean’s page for Details about Marine operations division.
- Guest Service Operations Division: Guest operation division deals with hotel management, food management, and guest handling services to make the time of people more worthwhile. It is this division which is visible to the guests.
Cruise ship jobs are varied in nature and categories available in a typical cruise ship includes the following:
Types of jobs available on Cruise Ships
- Captain and Assistant Captain and the navigation crew
- Engine department jobs
- Entertainment Jobs that include Casino and Gaming jobs
- Engineering and maintenance jobs
- Hospitality and service jobs
- Deck jobs
- Spa and recreation jobs
- Office and administrative jobs
- Medical jobs
- Offshore location jobs including sales, customer assistance, Information technology (IT) Jobs, Accounts and others
It is fun, service and entertainment. By landing a job with any cruise line you can get the best of both world’s; travel, adventure and a steady Paycheck.
Did you know that there are over 300 types of jobs on these ships plus lots of wonderful opportunities at cruise line headquarters around the world? Here you can have a look at various types of jobs on Cruise ships.
Just imagine yourself travelling to such places in the world you have always dreamt of and then getting paid for it.
However, you need to work relentlessly and you would need to be away from home on the ship for 6-9 months every year. So, adventures, exciting but as the people on board say;
Cruise ship jobs are not for everyone.
2. Pros & Cons of Working on Cruise Ships
We have tried to cover the advantages and the disadvantages of working on Cruise lines.
Let’s get on with it then.
The crew life is not as easy and exciting as it seems from outside.
It is different and amazing at times and thoroughly difficult at other times.
The cruise crew responsibility and life could be of different phases. They can be good, bad or ugly sometimes.
Read on for a quick list of the Good and the bad of working on Cruise ships.
Advantages of working on cruise lines
Let’s begin with the pros of working on cruise ships.
Here are a few reasons why a lot simply love Cruise line jobs.
- The crew members love their job as they will come to experience another trip in their life.
- New places, new cuisines, new people and you get paid to travel.
- You will be able to meet new people, new staff and can make friends. Their social life can get better.
- There is a feel-good factor involved in Cruise jobs. If you are a fun-loving person, you will enjoy the excursion.
- Money is great in the Cruise jobs. That helps as well. Doesn’t it?
- The different origins, language, regions and other aspects of people create a unique mix of the crowd at cruises. You get to learn about different cultures.
- People with a successful career at Cruise Ships know to deal with uncertainties, boredom, pressure and team management.
- Hospitality industry appreciates the experience of Cruise ships. You will be valued a lot higher after a stint at one of your favourite Cruise Line.
As part of the package, the added benefits of working on a cruise ship are:
- To and from air travel of the employee to the home destination
- Cruise vacation and hotel stay discounts from employees and their family
- Food coupons and discounts
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Holiday pay
and lots more. It all adds up to make cruise ships work more exciting and lucrative.
These are some of the great things about working on the Cruise lines.
Have you ever wondered how the crew comes out of every phase smiling to you and offering the services?
Those smiles on the faces have different stories behind them.
Yet, a lot of the crew members call their lives exciting, fun and most importantly different.
The job and responsibilities of the crew are not easy.
But, the people who love Cruises have the best times of their lives on board. Their life is all about working onboard.
Here’s a video on the advantages of working on Cruise Ships.
So, working on Cruise Ships does add wings to your career.
When we speak about perquisites, one can envy the same in the hospitality and travel industry.
Even those who are working at best-paid hospitality positions would envy the perquisites enjoyed by those working on cruise ships.
Some of the Job Diaries of the Cruise Ship employees will help you know about their typical day at work.
There are various job roles on cruise ships and the above resource covers the job diaries of each of these.
You can check the pros and cons of working on cruise lines by going through the job diaries of a role relevant to you.
Here’s what the job role typically look like and a snapshot from the website. Quite a comprehensive list, isn’t it?
Now that was all about the advantages of working on cruise lines.
But, is there a flipside to working on the cruise ships?
Let’s explore the same as well about the cruise jobs.
While we discussed the pros, it is also crucial to discuss the cons of working on cruise ships.
Disadvantages of working on Cruise Ship
The bad part is about being stuck on a cruise for a longer time period.
It depends on the duration of the trip.
You may find it exhausting to work on a cruise for that long.
Cruise ships jobs are certainly not for everyone. There are also a few disadvantages of cruise jobs among all the excitement around it.
Listed below are some of the cons of working on a Cruise Ship
- Employees long for a change at work, but if you are on a ship, it’s a small world out there. You are short on options to fight the monotony.
- If you face some rude guests, unlike hotels you would need to bear with them day and night for the whole trip. Painful isn’t it?
- At times you might end up doing that you don’t love, but you can’t walk out or resign. You cannot run away from the fact that you are locked up on a cruise where the only part of the focus is your work.
- Those facing sea sickness can face their worst nightmare of spending months working while on medication.
- This is not a job for the homesick guys and gals of the hotel industry. So, if you are seasick or a family bird looking to meet your parents every weekend; working as Cruise ships isn’t your cup of tea.
- The shifts can at times be very long and there are seldom any holidays while on a Cruise ship. So, you need to push the bar regularly.
- If you are a foodie you might soon run out of options to eat, drink and socialise.
- You would need to get used to staying alone while at work. You are sure to miss your friend reunions.
The flip side of cruise line jobs can be daunting.
However, for the extroverts and those who love challenges, this can be a small hurdle in making a decision to work on cruise ships.
Working on a cruise ship is not your cup of tea if you are homesick, are not self-motivated, are seasick and get bored easily. Yes, it’s as simple as that.
To explore the pros and cons of working on cruise ships further just assess yourself based on the below questions.
- Do you love travelling? Are you an extrovert and an extremely sociable person?
- Do you love to be in the company of strangers? Is money an extra motivation for you?
- Do you want to see the best sunrise and the most beautiful sunset from arm’s length? Are you a hospitality industry superstar?
If you answered ‘YES‘ to most of them, you are tailor-made for a Cruise job.
3. Top Cruise Line Companies in the World
This section ensures that you get comprehensive information on top cruise lines.
One of the most reputed Cruise ship companies, Princess Cruises has over 30,000 team members on board. They travel to almost all exotic locations around the globe may it be South East Asia, South Africa or the Americas.
Regarded as one of the best cruise lines of the world, Princess Cruise takes its customers to global locations.
Princess Cruises have a robust employee welfare scheme in place with work schedule varying between 6-9 months depending on job hierarchy. Accommodation and food are provided.
Cruises are always cramped for space but Princess Cruises are also equipped with crew Gym, Crew Pool and so on.
Princess Cruises have recruitment partners in place for almost all countries and application has to go through only these authorized agents.
The details of the agents for your country can be found through the following link of Career page of Princess Cruise.
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd
With over 20 ships operating in five continents, this Cruise Company is one of the favourite maritime operators for luxury travellers and one of the world’s best cruise companies.
The cruise line has been known for its huge ships. It has the ‘The Innovative Ship’ that is the biggest of all in the industry of cruises.
The cruise includes adventurous activities like water slides, bumper cars, musical theatres, pools and other things aboard. The ship sails primarily towards the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico.
With more than 40,000 employees already on board, this is an employer of choice for Cruise job aspirants.
If you want to be a part of Royal Caribbean Cruises ltd. all you need to do is to send your CV directly to Royal Caribbean HR Team at Cruiseshipjobs(at) rccl.com. Please do not forget to mention your desired job role and country of origin in the subject line.
Disney Cruise Lines
Still not out of the Micky mouse blues of Walt Disney fame. One of the world’s top cruise liners is a fun place to be for both travellers and employees.
Headquartered in Florida, USA, this company has a repute of building great careers. It is an employer of high regards and rewards and you need to be one of the best in the industry to fit in.
This is another large Cruise company with an unparalleled reputation in terms of hospitality and service. With more than 15 cruises, Costa carries travellers to almost all corners of the world.
For travellers, it means a lot more than travelling in Costa. Shopping, excursion, casino, WiFi, restaurants and whatnot. You think of it and they have it in their travel plans.
For Jobseekers information, Costa has jobs onboard and on land as well.
One of the world’s best cruise line company, Celebrity Cruises predominantly operate in North America, South America, Australia/New Zealand and Europe.
Known for its innovation and customer service, Celebrity has 11 ships. It has now merged with Royal Caribbean Cruises but still maintains its brand.
Regent Seven Seas Cruises
With 4 Cruises, Regent seven sea cruises operate primarily in Africa, India, Alaska, South America, Canada and Mediterranean. It is constantly covering more portion of the sea world to cover more destinations.
Regent Seven Seas has jobs to offer in several categories may it be on land (in their corporate offices, call centres, food and beverage and housekeeping departments) or aboard on ships. Jobs can be searched and applied through official career page of Regent Seven Seas Cruises.
The world is coming together and so are these cruise ship companies. Carnival UK has been formed by the merger of two of the best cruise liners named P&O Cruises and Cunard to cover almost the whole of the globe for its customers.
Predominantly stationed in the UK, this hospitality company Carnival is the proud owner of a few of the biggest Cruise ships of the world with Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth to name a few.
The ships of the Cunard line are fun and experimenting.
Silversea cruises are redefining luxury in hospitality and travel. It is known to have operated in the ultra-luxury segment and has pioneered all-suite ships concept.
It has a reputation of World’s best cruise liners and has one of the best packages and perks to offer to its employees.
If you are looking to work at Silversea Cruises, with almost 1,600 employees on board, it is not a walk in the park to land a job at one of these luxury ships.
Known for finest cuisines as ships, Oceania has a hospitality style of its own. It started operation in 2002 and is the world’s largest upper premium cruise ship company.
They cover 330 ports covering five continents and have redefined luxury statements for their customers.
Seabourn Cruise Line
The cruise line has been known for being luxurious among others. It is related to the ‘The Well-Travelled Cruiser.’
It is quite expensive and gives an experience of lifetimes. The board activities include the wine tastings and lectures from the authorities. It sails towards the Asia, Caribbean and the Mediterranean sea.
4. How Cruise Lines Hire New Workers?
Cruise jobs are extremely suitable for those who have a passion and a drive to work on Cruise ships. Can be Students, Retires, and career changers.
In order to answer how to apply for Cruise line jobs, it is equally important to know the process of hiring at cruise ships.
Cruise companies always hire such peoples who have experience in, tourism, hospitality, entertainment, Bars & restaurants, childcare, sales, teaching, gaming, customer realities, fitness, beauty, health, Healthcare & medicines, and financial management.
In the below video you can learn more about how the application process works in Cruises
If you want to work in cruise ship line then your number 1 priority as a cruise line worker is to provide a fun, safe as well as a memorable vacation experience to customers.
Cruise companies always hire dependable competent workers with positive and outgoing attitudes.
They do follow due diligence but mostly communication, personality and passion outweigh experience and knowledge.
5. How can I get hired at a Cruise Line?
If you have a nudge for adventure and fun then travelling on a cruise could be the best thing you could do. The problem is that not all of us can afford a luxury trip on an expensive cruise.
So, the solution is to get a job on the board. Yes, applying for a job on a cruise could help you fulfil your dream of travelling on a cruise.
Getting a job onboard isn’t easy as companies look to hire the best in the lot. This needs you to do your homework to ensure your resume climbs to the top of the pile when hiring starts.
First of all, you need to know about the best cruise lines companies and you will easily find the cruise lines most likely to hire you.
Look at the career sites of Cruise liners for best Cruise line jobs.
This is the best option.
Just do a Google search and you would find a lot of authentic options to apply for cruise jobs.
This is what came up with when we made a Google search and you can do this too rather than opting to pay some unnamed consultancy.
- Also, do research on who is adding new and latest cruise ships?
- Apply for the top cruise lines companies first.
- Familiarise yourself with your ideal company product.
- Where do these cruise ships travel? For what facilities are they best known for?
When you are looking to search for jobs in cruise lines, one of the essential elements of a successful job search is the development of the job leads.
How can you find significant sources for the new job vacancies in your own field? In this section, we are going to share 5 ways to search jobs in cruise lines.
The key question you need to ask yourself is how can I get a job on a cruise ship? These 5 ways will help you a lot in discovering the largest number of new vacancies in cruise lines.
Employment Agencies for jobs in cruise lines
Cruise lines have very few agencies that they authorize to work for them. So, think twice before a job agency claims to land you a decent job in cruise lines.
There are hundreds of agencies populating fraudulent jobs and charging hefty amounts. Stay safe and work your way out through authorized agencies only.
Be careful of fraudulent local agencies operating with the same name.
Look out for local authorized agencies. Most of these agencies don’t charge the candidates.
Stay in touch with regular employees of the cruise lines company and let them know that you are willing to work in their company.
So this way your comment or application will get attention and company management will mark you as a candidate who is well networked.
Company Career Websites
Here is the right way to approach your job search based on the company websites.
- Research on the companies you want to apply
- Make a spreadsheet clearly mentioning the name of each of these companies
- Search the career section and copy the web link in the spreadsheet
- Look for contacts through Linkedin or Facebook who are already working on the Cruise ship
- Check the job description and make suitable changes in your CV
- Make your CV look personalized. It must not be generic.
- You are now ready to apply. Click on the links you have compiled and keep a proper track of the applications through a section in the spreadsheet which mentions application date.
If you are terrified of the above list, relax as we have done half the work for you.
If you are going to find the ideal job for you according to your skills, then you can easily get the information about the jobs from the career section of any company’s websites.
If you watch for new jobs vacancies on these websites, then there is a great chance you will find the ideal job you have been waiting for.
The job search can be a tiring and heartbreaking process but the rewards are high once you are successful.
The importance of social networking sites especially Linkedin is to act as an icebreaker. You will stay involved in the job search.
If you already don’t know about the importance of networking, you will miss out on a variety of jobs leads.
Here is how you can use Linkedin for your hospitality job search.
Jobs developed/discovered by networking are more effective than any other method.
Networking also includes using vast numbers of people such as friends, customers, neighbours, associates and vendors etc. for the purpose of getting information about new jobs vanities.
Job Boards and Career Websites
Start building profiles on various job boards. Look for suitable jobs and start applying.
Nowadays job boards and career websites are a great way to search jobs in cruise lines.
Many jobs boards have moved toward a virtual format.
If you are looking for most reliable hospitality job boards, look nowhere else and just go through these hospitality job portals.
So get online and start exploring the oceans of opportunity.
Career magazines, career fairs and newspapers
You might be thinking of magazines and newspapers as an old school thing. You are grossly mistaken. Cruise lines still promote their jobs through career magazines and fairs.
Most of the career magazines have moved on towards technology and have their websites.
Also, keep looking at career pages in the local newspaper as you might be surprised to see a career fair in your city within the next few days.
Look for opportunities and stay alert. You never know when you land up with an opportunity to get your dream.
Stay in the hunt and stay positive. All the best!
6. Salaries for cruise line jobs
It is equally important to discuss the benefits of a cruise job.
There are many benefits which you can enjoy if you apply for cruise ship jobs:
- Save Money: Food, accommodation, and medical are free, so you save a lot of money.
- Travel: You get to travel for free. You will enjoy your work as you will have a unique experience.
- Family Travel: Many high ranked jobs on cruise ships allow people to take their families along with them.
One of the biggest attraction for cruise ship worker to work on cruise ships is the ‘Pay’.
By working with cruise ships you are able to save lots of money because most of the expenses are left behind.
Lodging and meals are provided to you for free. No more rent, gas, grocery or electricity bills.
Sample current monthly pay range for cruise ship jobs are as follows:
Average salaries for Cruise line jobs:
- Casino manager- $2,000 to $3,000
- Gift shop retail sales- $1,000 to $1,500
- Beautician- $1,000 to $1,300
- Spa Therapists- $1,000 and above
- Foodservice Manager- $ 1,200 – above
- Bartenders- $900- $1,800
- Chefs- $1,200- above
- Shore Excursion Manager- $1,800 to $3000
The above salaries are indicative and vary depending on the employers. Check the individual websites for a more accurate figure.
Some more indicative salaries can be found at Cruise salaries by Payscale.
Our guide on hotel management and salaries in the hospitality industry also has some resources to find more information on Cruise line job salaries.
7. What are the Requirements for Cruise Jobs?
Health requirements and being able to fit the job role is the key but there are other technical requirements to go with for getting Cruise line jobs.
So here are a few basic requirements that you would need to fulfil if you want to be a member of any cruise line company.
Minimum and Maximum Age criteria for cruise line jobs
Although most of the cruise lines companies hire applicants with the minimum age of 21, there are crew members on cruise ships who are able to get hired at 19 and 20 years. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to get hired for hospitality Cruise Line jobs if your age is more than 35 years.
It is a must for the applicant to ensure that he or she is able to understand and speak English fluently if he/she wants to work at any cruise line company.
Additional languages are a big advantage.
Police Clearance for Cruise Line Jobs
Every large cruise line company requires police clearance from the applicant that would prove that the applicant doesn’t have any criminal record.
Besides these, there are several other soft skills requirements for Cruise line jobs.
To bring things all together in order to know how to apply for cruise ship jobs. There are certain things which you can do to get a job on a cruise:
- Strengthen your Resume
The most important thing you can do to raise the prospects of getting a job is, strengthen your resume. It makes a lot of difference in your chances of getting a job. So, tailor your resume according to the needs of the job.
- Write a Cover Letter
Most of the people miss this. The key with Cruise ship jobs is to get ahead of the pack.
Write a convincing cover letter which you will submit along with your resume. The cover letter should address the reasons why you’re a perfect entity for the job you’re applying for. Make sure the Cover letter is not over 1 page in length.
Once you have developed a convincing resume along with a cover letter, the next you need to do is apply for a cruise ship job. There are certain ways you can apply for a job on a cruise ship:
- Apply at the Online Job Portals
We have said this earlier and we will say it again. What you are selling is your own brand. So be your best when you apply.
Never feel shy of applying and never apply underprepared.
The Internet is the best source to apply for a job on a cruise. You can search for blogs discussing how to get a job on a cruise ship. Moreover, you can go through job portals of multiple shipping companies as well and drop your CV.
- Engage with Recruitment Agencies
There are many recruitment agencies which hire people and then provide staff to cruise services around the globe. You can affiliate yourself with one such agency in your area.
Trust only the best ones and do your research before applying and a word of caution; never pay any recruitment agency until and unless it is administrative or visa charges and confirm the same with your employer.
- Ask Someone Experienced
Personal approvals serve the best purposes. If you know anyone who has already served on a cruise, interview them and ask them to guide on how to get a job on a cruise ship.
Learn more about the best ways to search jobs in Cruise lines.
There are a lot of other queries you might have regarding cruise ship jobs.
Think, prepare and act. Get your research in order and start applying.
All the best! Please keep coming back to get more information on the hospitality industry and Cruise related information. We will see you around.