With an increasing trend of remote working, the popularity of freelancing has increased many folds. One can pursue freelance jobs in almost all industries, including web development.
According to a recent study, it has been noticed that jobs of web developers grow by 25 % every year. It is quite clear from this result that there is a huge demand for freelance web developers in 2022.
In addition, as more and more businesses are trying to create their online presence, it has become a mandate to create a website. This is why web developers are never out of work these days.
However, it might be costly for a local or small business owner to hire a full-time developer. Hence they are resorting to freelance web developers.
In this article, we are going to take a look at the career path of Freelance Web Developers in 2022 and later.
What is a Freelance Web Developer?
A freelance web developer works independently from anywhere. They need to deliver the website within a stipulated time frame after discussion with the client.
As a freelance web developer, you will get to work on a wide variety of domestic and international projects.
As you are the manager of your own business, you can decide on a flexible work schedule and your rates and take time and decide which clients you want to work with.
Where to look for Freelance Web Developer Jobs?
If you are looking for work, then you can start with some of the freelancing platforms. Usually, jobs are listed on such platforms. These freelancing platforms narrow down your search process. With the help of filters, it is easier to look for jobs based on skills, projects, or preferences.
Let us take a look at some of the top freelancing sites to find work.
Best Tips to Become a Freelance Web Developer
A web developer must have sound knowledge in both design and technical aspects. Only then will a person be able to make a functional website that is visually appealing to the visitors.
1. Firstly, you need to decide what sort of freelance developer you wish to become. Web development has three fields of expertise:
a. Front End Development – These people are responsible for ensuring visitors have a wonderful experience. So, this is basically where you need to make sure that the website looks good and is easy to work on.
b. Back End Development – As a Back End developer, your primary task will be to look after the site’s database, server-side activities, and API. In other terms, backend developers are supposed to look into the logic and the infrastructure requirements.
A Backend Developer must be well versed in PHP, Python, MySQL, and frameworks such as Laravel, CodeIgniter, etc.
c. Full Stack Development – As a full stack developer, one must have the knowledge and skillset of both front-end and back-end developers. One must be adept at managing both tasks at the same time.
2. Other than programming knowledge, one should learn other skills which will help deliver service to clients.
a. Technical Skills – One must be tech-savvy and have enough talent to give a good competition to others.
b. Testing and Debugging – A website needs to be completely functional. The developer must ensure that the website is user-friendly and error-free.
c. Backend Knowledge – One must have some knowledge about back-end developments.
d. Soft Skills – As a freelance developer, you need to have a good relationship with clients. Soft skills help to communicate easily and understand the needs and expectations of the client.
e. Business Skills – As a freelancer, you ought to have some business skills as you will need strategies to earn consistently. Proper marketing and building a personal brand will help expand the network and improve.
3. As a freelancer, you need to keep gaining experience. With time you will improve your coding skills, which will lead you to more clients. It will give you an idea of what kind of skills suit you the best, and you will learn how to deal with difficult situations.
4. You need to build a portfolio website to showcase your past works. It will help build a personal brand. If you develop your portfolio creatively, people will get to see your development skills. In addition, these visuals and engaging content will help you get leads.
You need to add projects, testimonials, and other things to establish the trust in the first impression itself. Make sure you share your contact information and that you are reachable to your new clients.
5. Next, you need to focus on marketing. This can be challenging, but you need to network with people and other business owners. Promoting your services to create personal branding is a crucial part of this operation.
How much does a Freelance Web Developer make?
As per reports, it has been found that the average salary for a US-based freelance web developer is 35 dollars per hour.
The rates of back-end and full-stack developers are a lot more than front-end ones. However, a lot of other factors, such as work experience, expertise, location, etc., matter when it comes to pricing.
How to become a successful web developer?
To become successful in web development, you need to establish yourself in the field of business. It will help improve your portfolio as you get to highlight your specialty.
- Choose a particular niche to work on. Take a look at the kind of projects you have been dealing with already. Your present clients can refer you to others.
- Do thorough research of the market and find out the niche which is more viable.
- Keep upgrading yourself and honing your skills. You need to be aware of all the latest trends and web development practices in the industry.
- Offer hosting and domain management services. There is a high chance your client is unaware of the domain listing and hosting services. It might seem like extra work, but it will be easy to maintain with hosting and domain management services.
- If you invest in a business management tool, it will make it easier to handle clients and several projects.
A freelance web developer must build a proper channel to keep getting clients. One should know how to hone their skills and be in touch with the latest marketing trends. Looking for freelance projects is also not easy. We hope this tutorial has been very helpful. These steps and tips will help you become a successful freelance web developer.