The hospitality sector thrives with numerous job opportunities. In this sector, being a hospitality manager can enhance your career to the next level.
Before we move ahead, let’s look at who a hospitality manager is and what exactly is the hospitality manager’s job description. A hospitality manager coordinates the various departments within a restaurant or hotel. It is one of the highest-paid hospitality jobs and an extremely reputable one as well. This position is similar to a Hotel General Manager in the hotel industry.
Here, they would focus on overseeing administrative and financial components, maintaining customer satisfaction, and ensuring the hygiene and safety of the establishment.
In this blog post, we will walk you through the different aspects associated with being a hospitality manager. We will discuss its job description, duties, and requirements in length so that you can start working on aligning your skills and capabilities to suit yourself for the role. So, without any further adieu, let’s dive right into the specifics.
Hospitality Manager- Job Description
A job description for hospitality managers would mainly include the primary and secondary skills to make you a job-fit candidate. In simple terms, it would have a description or a general narrative of the expected duties, functions, requirements, skills, and responsibilities required for the job. Now, let’s have a look at the job description for the role of hospitality manager.
- Focuses on the ability to manage and coordinate the daily operations of the hotel or restaurant
- Prioritizes your skills in building commercial and management strategies that will benefit the organization
- Ability to supervise staff members and be a team player and team leader in facilitating quality services
A hospitality manager is expected to have over a decade of experience with some of the top hospitality companies in the world.
The Ideal Candidate would certainly have some previous experience of managing a large, 5-star hospitality operation. Good financial awareness, strong management skills and knowledge of Food Hygiene and safety would be a pre-requisite.
The Duties of a Hospitality Manager
While looking at the job description of a hospitality manager, we have to consider the duties of this role. They include
- A hospitality manager has to oversee the day-to-day activities at the hotel or restaurant.
- A hospitality manager has to communicate standard operating procedures.
- They have to work on the financial matters related to the hotel or restaurant, including managing budgets, expenditures, attaining profit, etc.
- A hospitality manager has to maintain and update reports and submit them to their senior managers when needed.
- A hospitality manager has to ensure that their hotel or restaurant adheres to health and safety policies.
- A hospitality manager has to coordinate departmental tasks, including delegation and communication.
- A hospitality manager has to manage the hotel’s or restaurant’s inventory.
The Requirements to be a Hospitality Manager
As we have looked at the duties of a hospitality manager, its time for us to delve into the basic requirements for this role:
- Requires communication skills, problem-solving abilities, organizational and leadership skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, a deep understanding of quality standards like ISO
- Having hands-on experience as a hospitality manager or managerial experience in similar capabilities (preferably, customer support or sales)
- Having a BSc or BA in Hospitality Management
- A deep understanding of the best practices and hospitality procedures
Thus, in a nutshell, these are the different duties and requirements to become a hospitality manager. So, if you plan to streamline your career in this direction, it’s time for you to start working on improving the required skills and capabilities.