If you’re looking for a change or want to get that dream job, then here are five helpful ways to get your dream job in a post covid world.
Covid-19 is something that we hope to see less and less of as we enter a post-Covid world. When that will be is still unknown, but just because normal life is on pause, doesn’t mean your career has to be.
Many people have lost their jobs during this time or perhaps have lost the love of what they were doing over the lockdown period and therefore want to try something new.
It’s apparent that this has been the case for many as the rise of small business ventures has certainly increased, with many trying to operate side hustles in a variety of industries.
A lot of job search engines have started to show promises with a lot of new job vacancies coming up. However, to get things going well in the post covid era, explore these 5 ways. Let’s begin!
1. Take The Time To Build On Your Skills And Experience
It’s important that in order to secure a dream job, you have all the necessary skills and experience needed for it. There are a variety of ways to build on your skills or experience through any relevant training courses or workshops that might be available online.
Some skills may be more physical and may require you to practice at home or using tools via your computer. For example, if you were interested in exploring starting an interior decorating business, then you’re likely going to need to practice these skills. Here are a few ideas on how to do this in your home:
- Renovate a room in your home that needs doing.
- Create mood boards based on a brief that you’ve created based on an imaginary client.
- Make use of free samples to create something new to build up a portfolio.
If you’ve been building yourself up to this dream job or starting from scratch, new clients will likely want to see evidence of your work. Don’t make the career mistake of not upgrading your key skills.
Building up your skills and experience is a good way of making use of the free time that you have available.
Investing in your future is essential so if you’re contemplating whether or not to pay for a training course or experience to build your skills, then consider the benefits it can bring. If the advantages outweigh the negatives, then it’s worth doing.
2. Revamp Your Resume
Revamping your resume is important because chances are, you’ve not updated it for quite some time. That may well be the case if you’ve been in your current employment for a number of years or you’ve been out of a job since the start of the pandemic.
It’s worth taking a look at the current state of your resume because according to Zety ‘63% of recruiters want to receive resumes tailored to the open position’.
That means that in order for you to secure your dream job, you’re going to have to tweak your resume to reflect the right skills and attributes you have to secure the position advertised.
It’s no surprise that many of us will send out dozens if not over a hundred resumes when applying for jobs due to the competition being so fierce. It’s essential that your resume stands out from the crowd.
There is lots of helpful advice when it comes to updating your resume, and you can even hire individuals to update your resume for you.
When revamping it, think about that dream job that you want and how you can tailor your resume to make it look as though you’re the perfect candidate for the job.
3. Expand Your Network & Use Your Contacts
When seeking out your dream job, it can often be the case that who you know, might influence the opportunities you get. That’s why networking is an important part of any career development, no matter what you venture on to do.
If you’re starting a business, for example, it’s worth connecting with those who are already in the positions you want to be in.
Use platforms like LinkedIn to reach out to those you admire from a professional point of view.
Everyone had to start somewhere and some will only be too happy to help you with your new business or start-up.
Expanding your network is essential. You might not realize just how many useful contacts you have available to you or the friends in high places that your contacts have.
Investing in personal relationships through networking can lead to your dream job. Statistics show that ‘85% of positions are filled by networking’.
Not everyone, though, is particularly good at networking and so it’s good to practice networking both in familiar environments and perhaps in a completely new one. Try to be active in looking out for networking opportunities.
There are plenty of places to look and we’ve put together a few to get you started:
- Talk to friends and colleagues/ex-colleagues – It’s a good idea to speak to friends, colleagues, and even ex-colleagues as they may be able to set you up with the relevant people that you’re looking for. It allows you to find more trusted connections and helps avoid doing some of the legwork to find them.
- Browse networking sites – Thanks to the internet being what it is today, it means that we have access to lots of online sites dedicated solely to networking. As mentioned already, LinkedIn is a great place to start but there are other sites like Meetup and Eventbrite that are worth looking into.
- Use social media – Social media is a huge opportunity for those across the globe to connect with one another and to collaborate. Whether you’re looking for your dream role in a company or you’re wanting to create your own business, social media can certainly help.
- Look for local events- One of the best ways to find networking events is looking for those that are right on your doorstep. They may be advertised in the local paper or via your online community Facebook page. Be active in finding what’s nearby and immediately available to you to utilize.
4. Prepare For Virtual Interviews
Even though we hope we’ll be out of the pandemic sometime soon, there will still be plenty of job interviews going ahead virtually instead. This is something that you’ll need to prepare for just like any traditional interview.
This type of interview might be a little different because it’s via a computer screen.
That can make things a little more awkward but it’s important to relax and stay calm. Take your time when answering any questions and don’t be afraid to ask for things to be repeated if the internet were to have a funny moment.
In order to prepare for a virtual interview it’s worth doing the following things:
- Get a good night’s rest the night before.
- Revise up on the company you’re being interviewed by.
- Try to avoid drinking the night before so you have a clear head.
- Make sure you have a good internet connection.
- Dress smartly as you would for an interview in-person.
Virtual interviews are something that might take some getting used to but it’s important t remember that the interviewers are likely to be in the same boat.
Try to relax, answer every question with confidence, and above all, be yourself. It’s easy for someone to see through a false persona.
5. Don’t Become Complacent In Your Job
Complacency in your job can often lead you to your downfall if you’re not careful.
Being complacent can lead to failure and although failure can be a learning curve, you don’t want to make too many mistakes. For running a business as an example, being complacent with the progress you’re making could be detrimental to the survival of the business itself.
For any dream job that you secure in this post covid world, it’s important to impress and to continue showing your talents to whoever is influential to your growth in the business.
Things are likely to be a lot different in this new world due to the number of opportunities and finance lost over the pandemic.
With this in mind, all businesses are going to want to see results and will likely cull anyone that isn’t contributing enough to the business. So in order to remain on top, you must be conscious of working hard.
Try not to drop the ball, especially when it comes to your dream job.
This post covid world is a little bit of a mystery in terms of what it will look like and how we’ll recover, however, there’s nothing stopping you from going for that dream job or career right now.
If anything, this pandemic is the perfect opportunity to change your outlook on your career and where you’d like to go.
Whether you’re thinking of starting up a new business or you’re looking to take advantage of this opportunity to get your dream job, use these tips to help.
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and it’s important that you’re happy in your job. If not, then it’s time to make that change and to find something you’ll enjoy more in life.